17.2.11

Aaaamen!

He pretty much says it all in his post Valentine's Day thoughts.

http://www.robertfulghum.com/

February 15, 2011


Seattle, Washington

The third week of February, 2011



LOVE . . . THE DAY AFTER

The setting: A small café at midday on February 15.

Three young women are doing what men never do.
They are sharing salads and secrets at lunchtime.
It is the day after what they refer to as “St. ‘Tine’s Day.”

And they have been forked.

And I, sitting at the next table alone, can’t ignore their conversation.
In summary, none of them got what they wanted or expected.

Valentine’s Day was a bummer.

Wrong flowers, wrong chocolate, wrong food, chintzy gifts.
And no mention of what they gave or did themselves.
I didn’t offer my opinion, but if I had, here’s what I would have said:
“Take a look at me.
It’s clear that I’ve been around awhile, right?
I’ve been a contestant in several love rodeos in my time.
I have the scars and trophies to prove it.
Here’s what I know now:

Call the list “Fulghum’s Eight Maxims on Giving and Getting Love:”
1. Love cannot be forced or bought.
2. You can only get from another person the love they are able and willing to give in the form they can give it in.
3. You cannot get from another person the love you demand and need in the form you wish.
4. If what they have to give is what you want, then love works.
If not, it doesn’t and won’t.
5. If you concentrate on getting love, there will never be enough.
6. If you concentrate on giving love, there will always be enough.
7. Most people need the most love when they are the most unlovable.
That includes you. And me.
8. Finally, love is not a present you give or get, but something you do.
If that seems like a solemn list, that’s because it’s meant to be.
I take love seriously.

And I tell you that if you never understand these maxims, then all the chocolate you ever receive on Valentine’s Day will be dark and bitter.”

1 comment:

  1. Lots of truisms in there. Personally, I don't subscribe to the whole Valentine's Day thing. Seems like a great scheme by marketers to infuse some energy into a post-Christmas economy. Everyday should be Valentine's day, in my humble opinion.

    BTW, I loved your elevator pitch over at my place. Thanks for playing along! *smile*

    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete